I work in the ED at a teaching hospital in Connecticut. A few years ago we started using Meditech and more recently Computerized Physician Order Entry(CPOE). Initially it appeared that we were duplicating documentation and it was more work for staff. However, as we became more comfortable with electronic documentation we realize that this was a easier and safer way to document. It is interesting that when the system is down, we find it frustrating to do paper documentation.
Since this system is linked to other departments, it provides for safer care as well as continuity of care. I remember a patient neglected to tell the ED staff that she was allergic to a certain medication. Thanks to the Meditech system, pharmacy was able to intervene and prevent what might have been a catastrophic situation. Meditech provides quicker access to patient records and so expedites care and allows for safer delivery of care.
I find CPOE a step in the right direction. This definitely eliminates or decreases medication errors since nurses now do not have the tedious task of interpreting and transcribing physicians' terrible handwriting. In addition, admitted patients' length of stay in the ED may be significantly shortened since physicians can enter admit orders quicker and get patients moving out of the ED sooner. I am sure that staff throughout our hospital system have found these electronic documentation systems safer and easier to use.
The one big question is are we able to keep patients information safe from hackers or even inquisitive and unscrupulous staff?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment